We have a few raised garden beds and due to this, that, and the other thing, we just haven’t been able to garden like we’ve wanted to over the past few years. However, this year, we’re making a new commitment, including making changes in our activities, so we can get the vegetables going.
One of our raised beds is so overgrown that we moved the chickens there so they could tear it up while getting a ton of fresh greens. While not their permanent home (we’re discussing the feasability of building a larger henhouse with attached run and “subdivisions” for meat birds and turkeys), it will make a great summer home.
So we put up a temporary fence around the garden, moved the A-frame coop in there and let them have at it. Not only does it give the girls fresh greens, worms, and bugs, but more room to roam and has eliminated what few integration issues they had. And we’ll get a nice, clean, naturally fertilized garden bed for either fall crops or next spring.
I also noticed this week one of the quints has some light brown markings on her wings. So, while she remains a quintuplet, her name is now Dirty Girl.
All in all, it’s going well. We still need to finish the coop the girls are in. That means I need a ridge vent so I can remove the tarp, add some lovely barn red stain to the outside, and develop creative ways to water and feed the girls so I’m not out there twice a day. One thing at a time.
And a quick follow up to my GMO comments last week. For you more technical readers, here’s a link to an article on the effects of GMO food products on animals.